Thursday, July 21, 2011

Learning about Christian Living from..........yardwork?

Okay, so yesterday was my day off. I love having a day off in the middle of the week. It breaks up my work time and it gives me a day to relax and get some things done around the house. Well, my wife was off too so she made me do some yard work. Actually, I kind of wanted to do it since it involved power washing! At our house, we have fence that is probably at least 25-30 years old. It looks gray and dirty and probably hasn't been cleaned for a while. So, I power washed some of it yesterday. As I was doing it,(and maybe it's the preacher inside of me) I began to ponder the cleansing power of the gospel. I know, weird right? As the water blasted away years of dirt and grime, I thought about the power of the blood washing away my sin. My sin, blasted away like that dirt with a powerful blast from the fountain filled with blood! Now, I didn't get it 100% clean. That would be almost impossible. That too, reminded me that I will never be perfect in this life. I will continue to sin. I will not be perfectly clean in this life. Although I stand fully clothed in the righteousness of Christ, my life will still be marred by my sin and rebellion. Needless to say, the part of the fence we got done, looks great!

Now on to weeds. Yep, that's right. Weeds. I noticed we got some funky lookin weeds in our yard that are growing crazy fast. One of them was nearly 4 feet tall(not kidding). I wondered about that too. Why weeds? Why do weeds sprout up with nice looking grass? Why do they sprout up where you have rocks and landscaping? Well, for one thing, we didn't get our yard sprayed this year. But, it made me think about how we know from scripture, that weeds or unbelievers grow up with the grass or believers. The difference is that the weeds are planted by Satan to disrupt the work of the gospel. The same is true with the sheep and the goats. The goats are the unbelievers and the sheep are the believers. They all go to church together, server together, sing in the choir together, and do whatever else is involved in church life. Yet, many are disguised to thwart the gospel. So, that's what I learned from my yard work yesterday! Go work in your yard and see what you learn!

Seth
Soli Deo Gloria!!

No comments:

Post a Comment